Friday, January 8, 2010

I walked to work in 10 degree weather!

That's right. I can now officially tell my grandkids, "When I was your age, I walked to work in the snow, for 30 minutes, up hill and down, with my computer, barefoot." Okay, maybe not barefoot, but you get the idea.


Past the cool Piperska Garden (please note drastic difference from pic in November post):




Over the bridge (the big white area is FROZEN WATER!):




Here are some basic observations from my frigid trek:

1. The first 5 minutes outside induce a cold headache, a literal brain freeze, even if you have a hat on.

2. Hats reduce peripheral vision. So someone could be standing/walking next you you and you won't know it. This makes for uncomfortable moments when you stop and look both ways before you cross the street.

3. Snow is pretty on trees, bicycle seats, statues, ponds and benches. It is not pretty on trash bags, dog poop, construction equipment or the road.

4. Icicles can kill you.



5. If your face is numb you cannot feel your nose running.

6. Always carry a tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment